Sustainability at the Hat Tavern starts with community. We all have a stake in the future, and all of us collectively can do a lot more good than any one of us. That’s why we’ve created this space to share our sustainable journey. The staff at the Hat Tavern is dedicated to preserving the City of Summit and Planet Earth as places where all generations can prosper. Through a diversity of Green initiatives – including recycling, composting, and water and energy conservation – we are able to meet present needs while preserving resources for the future. Our efforts include:
- Comprehensive recycling program, including cardboard, glass, tin, plastic containers, bulk metals & paper products of all kinds.
- Water conservation, including infra-red, motion-sensor, auto-water valves in all public restrooms & sinks.
- Energy conservation, by employing timers and sensors for lighting fixtures in locations such as closets & mechanical rooms.
- Food composting, over 600 gallons of food waste are sent to Pig Farm Recycling every week.
- Hazardous material disposal program, including cooking greases, fluorescent and mercury light bulbs, outdated chemicals, computer equipment, refrigerants, lead acid, and nickel cadmium, lithium oxide, and mercury batteries.
- Jersey Fresh Regional Specialties, utilizing local vendors offering fresh local and sustainably produced food.
- Community Food Bank of NJ, providing food to those in need.